One might think that it’s hard for me to remember what happened in the 206 books I read last year. One would be right. Still, there are books I read that stand out as the best of the year.
Here they are, in no particular order:
- HHhH, by Laurent Binet
- Mr Fox, by Helen Oyeyemi
- Wolf Winter, by Cecelia Ekbäck
- The Librarian, by Mikhail Eliazarov
- Deathless, by Catherynne Valente
- Americanah, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- Viper Wine, by Hermione Eyre
- The Library at Mount Char, by Scott Hawkins
- Five Days at Memorial, by Sheri Fink
- Devil in the Marshalsea, by Antonia Hodgson
- The Incarnations, by Susan Barker
- The Fifth Season, by N.K. Jemisin
Nota bene: This list doesn’t exclude books that were published before 1 September 2014.